Types of Birth Traumas and Birth Injuries

Information Provided by our Birth Trauma Attorney

Image of a baby sleeping

When your baby was injured because of a doctor’s error, you were devastated. Now it is time to seek compensation to help take care of your baby. Each birth trauma attorney at Cappolino Dodd Krebs LLP is here to help you during this difficult time. Dr. Ryan A. Krebs, M.D., J.D. is a birth trauma attorney, but he is also a medical doctor. This is the type of person you want on your side.

Cerebral Palsy

Cerebral palsy is a birth injury resulting from damage to the cerebrum, the part of the brain that controls motor skills, sensory functions, and cognitive thought. Cerebral palsy is marked by intellectual limitations, hearing deficits, vision impairment, behavioral problems, seizures, speaking difficulties and learning disabilities. More information about cerebral palsy »

Erb’s Palsy

Erb’s palsy is the most common type of brachial plexus injury. The brachial plexus, a nerve network, signals the hand, shoulder, and arm to perform functions. When this network is injured, the patient can lose some or all use of her hand, arm, or shoulder to paralysis. Up to 90 percent of cases of Erb’s palsy heal on their own within the baby’s first year, but the remaining 10 percent require extensive therapy. More information about Erb’s palsy »

Baby Brain Injury

Researchers have found that each year, approximately one in 664 infants delivered using medical forceps sustains a brain injury, as does one in 860 infants delivered using a vacuum extractor. While this equipment is generally considered safe and often medically necessary, it can be extremely dangerous if the attending physician misuses it. For example, if a doctor uses forceps at the wrong stage of labor, the baby can suffer bruising, permanent indentations, severe cranial damage, excessive blood loss, or cephalohematoma, during which there is bleeding between the bone and its protective covering. Conversely, vacuum extractors (which suction a baby out of the birth canal by its head) can cause cuts, severe swelling of the scalp, bruising, and blood clots if not used properly. Any of these injuries caused by forceps or vacuum extractors can result in developmental delays and permanent brain damage. If you suspect your child’s brain injury was the result of medical malpractice, contact a birth trauma attorney at Cappolino Dodd Krebs LLP immediately. Our brain injury law offices in Texas are positioned to assist residents throughout the state, including those in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and many others. More information about baby brain injuries »

Shoulder Dystocia

Shoulder dystocia describes a situation where the baby’s head has been delivered, but the shoulders are stuck behind the mother’s pelvic bone and cannot be freed. Injuries resulting from shoulder dystocia include brachial plexus injuries (also known as Erb’s Palsy). These injuries damage the bundle (plexus) of nerves that control the shoulder, arm, wrist and hand muscles. More information about shoulder dystocia »

If you need to speak with an Erbs palsy lawyer or a cerebral palsy lawyer, please contact a birth trauma attorney today to discuss your case at no charge.